Friday 6 December 2013

Waiting In a waiting room



 
Waiting In a waiting room
I get the phone call that nobody ever wants to get; the doctors said that she had taken a fall. I rushed down to the hospital only to miss her just minutes after she entered the O.R. I was forced to sit alone in the quiet, desolate waiting room. The seats were cold and hard; the material, cracked from years of decay. It was quiet except for the beeping of heart monitors and the constant dripping of IV’s. The smell of bleach and disinfectants stung my nose. Everything almost seemed to become more obvious it was if my senses had heightened. Whenever the clock would tick It sounded like a hammer smashing down on steel. I had now been at the hospital for a total of six hours. I was starting to worry that something had gone wrong. The air in an instance seemed to fill with a cloud of anguish and despair. It felt as though it would consume my very soul. My body was tense, my eyes strained, my mind was frantically trying to convince itself that everything had gone well that there had been no problems. But, I couldn’t do it. My mind was still overwhelmed with despair. The door opened with a swoosh and the man that I had been waiting on for so long entered the waiting room and called my name. I leapt from my seat praying for good news. He looked me dead in the eye and said that he had good news and bad news. Hearing him say there was bad news terrified me. I asked for the good news first. He said that they were able to mend the bone with no problems at all. But while they were in mending the leg bone, they found cancer which is why they took so long. They immediately took her for an MRI. Next, he told me, “I have some terrifying news; she only has one day left.”    
Brandon Carson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment