Thursday 12 December 2013

Narrative Essay


Topic: Certain events change our impression of life
 Its the year 2025 and my name as a composer is known world wide for besting Beethoven at his own game. Having music in my life allowed me to open my mind to new things as well as new people. Although, life wasn't always this great. I had to fight and claw to do what I wanted in my life.

It was my first day of Middle School and there were so many choices. Do I choose band or art and drama? My mind was a whirlpool of worries and thoughts, “What will I do? How will I do it? Will I succeed?”  That night I had a dream! A dream where I would one day play my own music in front of thousands of people; contently listening to my every note. That morning as I walked to school and felt the brisk air on my face I knew for certain what I was going to choose.  It would be Band. 


In the beginning my parents and I fought desperately as they wanted me to be in drama so that I could become a famous actor. They did this knowing full well that I hated acting. At that moment I knew what I needed to do. I knew what was best for me. When they finally agreed to let me join band I was ecstatic. I could hardly contain myself. To hear these words completely changed the way that I looked upon life. Walking into the band room on the first day felt amazing, the smell of the freshly re skinned drums, my heart was beating in an unbroken tempo. All I could see was a room full of people all with the same goals as I. Countless hours were spent learning music, studying, playing. Music had become my everything, it threatened to consume me. As I strengthened my knowledge in music I forgot about everything else, friends, academics and health it all just didn't seem to matter. How could the one entity I love so much be the one entity that destroys me. Luckily my parents were their for me and caught this before I reached a point on which turning back would be impossible. I stopped studying music as much as before and started building friendships; this was painfully hard for me due to the fact that I had built up about as much social skills as a frilled shark. Getting my health back was no easy matter but in time it came back and I was healthy and happy although I felt like I was missing something. The Hardest thing was getting my academics back up to an acceptable level was excruciatingly difficult; I worked so hard but It just felt hopeless. 

Venturing into high school was a frightening time for many people including myself. I was constantly aware of how some people would get picked on to the point of taking their own life. Being the strong willed person I am I told myself that I would not let this happen to I. Of course now being a more well rounded person I had decent grades a few good friends and my health had come back. I was very eager to start getting back into the beautiful world of music. Gaining back my extentious knowledge took a lot of effort and persistence even more than normal because I had to watch my grades. But over the years as I progressed through high school the knowledge I previously had acquired flew back into my mind like the mighty Nile River. After three long, hard but good years I entered my grade twelve year with a feeling of power and excitement. My grades were at an all time high and I was still actively studying music I didn't think life could get any better but I was so wrong. I remember that night like if it had just happened. It was a cold winters night, the grade 12 senior band was coming together for the annual winter concert and I just so happened to have the biggest solo of my life. The room was full of a small but noticeable "humm" I had never noticed it before it seemed as though the people were genuinely excited to hear our music. It was time. We took our seats. "1,2,3,4" the music rushed out of our instruments it was a symphony of sound. The time was coming for me to stand up and take my solo I was so nervous my whole body shaking my palms sweating profusely. Then it was upon me. I don't remember anything except finishing and the crowd going insane. The rest of the concert sounded magnificent but I can still feel inside me today the excitement I felt then. After the concert a man pulled me aside and asked me a few questions about music and some of my plans for my future. He turned out to be a world renowned recruiter for symphonic band players and composers he wanted me to compose for one of his bands. My life was all uphill from their.

Fast forward about to 2020 I'm 25 years old and writing brilliant works of music for some of the most prestigious bands ever. Renowned as one the greatest composers ever I was extremely content with my life. My parents were so wrong about me; amazing that it had all started with that first day in middle school.

Brandon Carson


No comments:

Post a Comment